Would you know what to do if something out-of-the-ordinary happened while you and a partner were out rock climbing? Are you sure? This course lays the foundations for self rescue in some of the most common situations rock climbers find themselves in. A full 2-day course will give you a set of skills you can use regularly – not just in the odd “emergency” situation, but often to make your normal climbing day a little more comfortable as well. Make no mistake – all outdoor climbers of all levels should know and have spent dedicated time practicing these skills.
I am often told that the “Essential Rescue” weekend is among the most fun and informative weekends that many of my participants have done. I hope you will agree!
On this course you will learn:
- Belaying from a top-anchor
- Rope management at the belay station
- Tying off a belay device
- Rescue Knots – Munter Hitch, Munter-Mule, Alpine Butterfly
- Escaping the belay
- Prusik knots and their uses
- Prusiking up, and prusiking past a knot
- Abseiling down, and abseiling past a knot
- Lowering a partner/casualty past a knot (i.e. more than one rope length)
NOTE: you should have Top-roping or Sport Climbing skills already before coming on this course. Please note that course numbers are limited – we will organise another date for you if the current course is full.